Sunday 11 October 2015

Search as strategic exploration


Searching as Strategic Exploration refers to the understanding that information searching is usually not straight forward and it is iterative, requiring the evaluation of a wide range of information sources and the mental flexibility to pursue alternative lines of research or questions as new understanding about a topic is developed. Serendipity plays a big role in the searching process. Stumbling on relevant information or that perfect piece of information on your topic just by browsing using various search tools is what is meant by serendipity.


         The following sources I found helpful in understanding the frame better, although it was explained well in class and it is quite straightforward. I liked Lane Wilkinson’s comments and the way he unpacks the frames is always awesome and makes understanding the frame better. But I also appreciate the comments made on his blog about the frame as it gives various scholars understanding of the frame. And what I particularly enjoy is that they do not always agree and they then go on to motivate their stance. So I am sure you know his Blog but here is the link nonetheless https://senseandreference.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/is-searching-exploration/

Then there is the following libguide created by PALNI. I like the way it aligns the frame with the relevant Standards and I also think the links provided to various other interesting sources is quite helpful. It also has a link to the final ACRL document regarding the Framework which was filed by the ACRL Board in Feb this year. I suggest you take a look at it guys!  http://libguides.palni.edu/c.php?g=185459&p=1225561

3     Thus far I think I have done my share in participating in the class. But in the same breath I feel I should prepare more, however between all the assignments, activities, group work and being employed full-time, I find it quite difficult. I feel I have grasped the Frames quite well, I just hope my understanding is good enough to submit an awesome final project. 

4     My classmates and I have been working as a team for the most part of this year. We have really carried each other through and it has been an amazing experience. I am one of 5 students who are completing our final 5 modules and I must say compared to last year, we are one hell of a team!

No comments:

Post a Comment